Jaguars Division Champs

Epic South Jaguars Basketball Recap January 18th-30th

Senior Night at Epic South.

Tyler Carter, Sports Editor

With a truly epic record of 12 wins to two losses, the Jaguars clinched the division championship and are heading to the playoffs. The Jags had a brutal run of very intense and close games. The team’s nine game winning streak unfortunately came to an end on January 19th when they lost to Jamaica 64-59. It was a tough loss, Jamaica has been the only team this season to get past this team, but, as it’s been all season long, they bounced back the following day and battled for a win against Bayside. 

The last week of January the Jaguars played only two games, getting a well deserved rest. They went 2-0 in games against Hillcrest and their first matchup against Far Rockaway. The game against Hillcrest was fairly one sided with the Jaguars beating Hillcrest 67-53. 

The game against Far Rockaway was extra special because it was a home game and Senior Night. The senior players and managers received awards for their hard work. The game between Far Rockaway and Epic South was very, and I mean VERY intense. It went down to the wire between the two, Epic got away with close 54-51 victory, improving their record now to 12-2. The MVPs for those two games were Isiah Latson (senior), who was the leading scorer with his clutch shooting and dropping 20+ for each game. On the defensive side, the MVP was Lawrence White (sophomore), who all season long, has nabbed a ton of steals each and every game. He is one of the best defenders in the league. 

With the regular season over and the playoffs coming up, the Jags currently have a comfortable lead in their division with their 12-2 record. They cannot let their guard down now, they have to play every game with the same grit and determination that they played with all season long no matter who their opponent. They only have two games remaining for the season; two road games against John Adams and a rematch with Far Rockaway. We look forward to seeing the Jaguars playing with the same intensity come the playoffs.

Photography by Elisha Edwards