EPIC College Fair

Kimone Reid, Editor

After school, on November 17th, EPIC High School hosted its first College Fair in which students and their families were invited to join faculty to discuss colleges. Representing schools they attended, faculty were able to answer questions about majors, life on campus, and recommend programs. This opportunity was helpful in building the student’s anticipation to forward their education in the future. 

In my opinion, as a senior, the College Fair was truly a grand success. It helped me be more confident and get a better understanding of where I can go to major in Business Management.

Mr. Thomas, 11th and 12th Grade Counselor and College Advisor for College Access for All, worked with the College and Career Readiness Task Force, which is comprised of students and faculty, to pull it all together. Thirty two colleges and universities were represented as well as DCAS (City Exams) Careers and NYADI (New York Automotive and Diesel Institute.)

“ It is important for students to begin thinking about their post-secondary options,” Mr. Thomas said. “They need to understand the purpose and preparedness involved,” he explained. “By researching colleges/universities and career opportunities now, they will know what criteria, standards, and skills are needed to successfully reach their goals and aim for it.”

Participants at the College Fair had a host of opportunities to engage in learning but there was also a raffle, opportunities to get EPIC swag, like t-shirt souvenirs, and we can’t forget to mention the scrumptious food! But for Mr. Thomas and the team, the most important part of the College Fair was “the engagement of students and their parents as they interacted with the representative from each school.” In thinking about the next College Fair, Mr. Thomas mused, “We’ll try to schedule the event on a Saturday around lunch time so that more families will be able to attend they event.”

Mr. Thomas
Mr. Thomas setting up for the College Fair.
Ms. Brijmohan
Ms. Brijmohan represented for St. John’s with a student.